I participated in a valuable Apple Educational Leadership Summit complete with Adrian Sannier proclaiming that we should quit air conditioning books and just burn down our University Libraries. Alan Kay reconfirming how learning is really accomplished. Some GenYes high school kids scaring us with their open minds. Oh, and I loved a reference by one of the students referring to the copier as the "Paper Machine". And a couple of English professors from Rutgers who have shown how to teach communications skills in this age of rich multimedia. Great stuff, good networking amongst the many CIOs, but I think I will expand upon the “Rutgers Guys”; Dr. Richard Miller and Dr. Paul Hammond.
They have been given an incredible opportunity thanks to a couple of gifts to create a new Writing Center where they have been allowed to offer an English or Communications curriculum that is not afraid to embrace all forms of technology for effective teaching and learning of today’s undergraduate. No really, they have figured it out and they are off and running from the pack. Figured out as in immersing themselves into all forms of rich media so that they can properly motivate today’s learner to be a critical thinker. My major take-away though was that I saw English professors who had discovered how to leverage software applications: They figured out that you don’t try to learn the app first, let what you want to accomplish drive what you learn in the app. This has always been an advantage geeks have leveraged, we always assume the app can do what we want to do, we just have to figure out how a specific app does it. I recommend that you investigate the "Rutgers Guys".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment